As per last few winters I’m putting on turbo training classes to help with quality training over the winter months to compliment base training and prepare riders for the time trial /race season. Sessions will start on Thursday 3rd November and run through to the end of March. Training will be held at Brockenhurst Village Hall in Highwood Road (SO42 7RY). The sessions will be in the Craft Room and it will be easiest to park at the rear of the hall and use the back door to the Craft Room. Doors open at 1930, warm up will start at 1945. The duration of the sessions will vary but will normally be around 75 -90 minutes including warm up and cool down. Please don’t arrive early as there’s another class finishing at 1900 so we want to make sure that they’re clear.
The sessions will be run along the lines of training within certain training zones to increase lactate threshold / functional threshold power. The result of this structured training should result in you being able to hold a higher effort level for longer come the race season.
The sessions are planned and delivered by a British Cycling Certified Level 3 coach (Barry Wootten).
The training will be split into blocks to reflect the needs of the training year:
· Week 1 will be a LTHR or FTP test to determine training zones. This is a key session and also a hard session so please come prepared for that. See http://nfcc-training.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/lactate-threshold-heart-rate-testing.html for more details.
· The second phase will be based on improving aerobic endurance with some leg speed work as well.
· Third phase after Christmas will be Short Term Muscular Endurance
· Fourth phase will be force.
· Lastly just before the race season starts will be a period of threshold training.
The coach will recommend other sessions for riders to do to complement the Thursday sessions and distribute those to riders via Training Peaks software. For the most part that will mean that riders can repeat the Thursday session at home on Mondays. This will also be the case for the 10th November and 19th January where the hall is unavailable.
Please sign up for a Training Peaks account https://home.trainingpeaks.com . The basic one will suffice unless you want the specific features of the chargeable version. Follow the following link to link your account with the coaches account: https://home.trainingpeaks.com/attachtocoach?sharedKey=2QQNI6DAVQGBM
If you've got a heart rate monitor please wear it, if not don't worry as advice will be given based on the Perceived Rate of Exertion scale which requires no equipment.
If you’re training with power the sessions will also be delivered in terms of power zones as well as heart rate zones.
Please remember that we are hiring the village hall and there are a few house rules we need to adhere by:
1. No cleats on the floor.
2. All riders to have a mat / carpet under their bike and turbo.
3. All riders clear up their own sweat and mess!
4. Please make sure your bikes are clean before bringing them into the hall.
Checklist of what to bring:
1. Bike, make sure tyres are pumped up
3. Mat / carpet
4. Cycling shorts
5. Skewer for turbo
8. Food for afterwards
9. Change of clothing for afterwards
10. Towels, additional small towel for when riding is useful
11. Heart rate monitor / power meter
12. Extension lead if your turbo requires mains
13. Front wheel raiser
Cost of each session is £5 for members of New Forest Cycling Club and Lymington Triathlon Club. Cost for non-members and guests £6.